Welcome to FSMBC Mobile App
First Salem M.B. Church
Spring 2020 Teaching Series: The Masters’ Class: Lessons on Discipleship
Focus Scripture: Matthew 28:18-20
Memory Verses: Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the World. Amen ~Matthew 28:19-20
After spending three years on earth, Jesus completed His assignment of redeeming mankind from the enemy. During that time, he spent his earthly ministry modeling the lifestyle that He intended His followers to imitate after His departure. In Matthew 28:18-20, we read the assignment given by Jesus to the 11 disciples.
1. What is the command that Jesus gave to the disciples?
2. What, then is a disciple?
There is an intended outcome of being a disciple, and it is to become like their teacher, by learning from them, observing how they live and learning to live like them.
3. In his book, Dr. Tony Evans defines a Kingdom Disciple as “a believer in Christ who takes part in the ___________ - __________________ process of _______________ learning to live all of life under the lordship of Jesus.
4. There is a difference between making a disciple and making a convert. What do you think is the difference?
5. Why is living a life of discipleship important? As a disciple, we are committing to live as heaven’s ____________ on earth. In Matthew 28:18, Jesus announces that He has ______________ in all the heaven and earth.
To understand the magnitude of this statement, refer to Ephesians 1:18 – 2:5.
6. The problem that we are finding today, is that many disciples are not operating in the ______________ that Jesus delegated to us, which is causing the world to experience various levels of chaos rather than the abundant life that God intended for us.
7. Discuss the difference between “power” and “authority.” Refer to Job 1:6-12 for an example of the two in operation.
8. Read Matthew 28:18 again. What comes to mind as you think about the power/authority that Jesus has been given in heaven AND earth?
9. There are three steps that Jesus outlined for his disciples to complete as they endeavor to make disciples, which are found in Matthew 28:19-20. List the three steps below.
10. The comfort that we have as we endeavor to fulfill the assignment given by Jesus in the passage is found in Matthew 28:20. What does He promise His disciples, and how does that build your confidence as a disciple of Jesus Christ?